Sunday, July 26, 2015

Mommy, We Are Worms

One day, my boys climbed into my bed for a cuddle, and then started telling me about worms.

"They eat dirt, Mommy," said my youngest, "and they poop it too."

"Yeah, and they're good for gardens," his brother added.

And then we were all pretending to be worms, burrowing under the comforter and squirming away whenever we thought ants were nearby. We hid from the sun and climbed out when it rained.

"Mommy, you are a mommy worm and I'm a baby worm."
"No," I said, "I'm an ant."
"And I was your baby."

Later on, they changed into ants and role-played predator and prey actions. We had a conversation that went like this.

Batman: Mommy, are you my friend?
Me: I'm an ant, so I might have to eat you.
Batman: I was a worm and I was your friend.
Me: I eat worms.
Batman: But I was your friend. Mommy, if you eat your friends, then you wouldn't have a friend anymore.

I'm amazed at his wisdom. I immediately became a worm again.

After a time, my husband came home. I said, "Honey, you'll never guess what game we're playing right now."

Little voices respond, "We are worms!"

No comments:

Post a Comment