Sunday, July 12, 2015

How to Give Advice So People Will Listen

 The short answer is, give less of it.

Everyone has (or ought to have) an advice filter that allows only advice they want or are interested in. If you hurl advice constantly, most of it will bounce off. And too much will cause overload and system shut down, causing even helpful advice to fall by the wayside.

Conversely, withholding advice until you know it's wanted will not only allow you to generously help somebody now, but also open the way for future advice-giving opportunities. Because you were helpful this time, they'll seek you out later when they have a question.

Giving advice WITHOUT establishing a need can create problems in communication and even relationships. Unsought advice is usually based on assumptions. First, that a problem exists, and second, that the person involved needs YOUR help to solve it.

Avoid assumptions and ASK. Ask if it’s a problem, and if they want help. They might be totally fine and you can talk about fun things like lollipops and river rafting instead of tough challenges.

The best way to make your wisdom more sought after is to give less of it

One thing I’ve noticed about advice, is that the more experienced the person, the less likely they are to give it. Because they are experienced, they get it. They know that in some situations, advice won’t help. They know that experience is a great teacher and so in non-emergencies, they’ll forego the blah, blah. blahs and let you learn from your own experiences. 

Now pay attention because this is important. If you give me advice I don’t want, I might guess that you’re inexperienced, and therefore, not much worth listening to. In this way, giving advice decreases your credibility. 

On the other hand, if you listen and offer actual help, I will guess that you have experience and I may even ask you for your wisdom. Imagine that!


People give me advice all the time and, usually, I don't want it very much. It's like a bad Christmas gift. You don't want it. You don't want to be rude. You don't want to give it to anyone else.

Some of my favorite examples relate to parenting. It seems like everybody wants to fix you, or your kids or your parenting style when, most of the time, there is not a real, existing problem. (Even "naughty" kids usually grown up to be wonderful, caring adults.)

I have an answer for unwanted parental advisers.


I don’t want your advice. I’d rather hear about how rotten your kids are so that I know I’m not the only one incapable of hypnotizing my kids into perfect obedience. In other words, I’d rather be validated than fixed.

My advice on giving advice: Don’t

Now, please don’t get me wrong. We all have problems and solutions are wonderful. However, before you offer one, try the following:

Be sure your friend WANTS your solution.

“Yeah, I agree it’s a problem. I’m also a responsible, intelligent and literate adult with Internet access and a pediatrician. I think I can figure this one out. Thanks.”

Recognize that not every problem can be solved.

If someone has lost a loved one, no amount of advice is going to bring them back. There will be grief and sadness and advice will not take it away. 

Self-Evaluation

Are you wanting to provide needed assistance or to sound important? Can you offer it tactfully? Advice can often come across as judgmental or patronizing. It may insult the person’s abilities and once you do that, they’ll never want to listen to you.    No one wants to feel attacked.

Be certain there's a problem and that it's serious.

Hey! Most of life’s little difficulties are more funny than anything else. Especially if kids are involved. If I tell a story about some serious naughtiness involving a roll of toilet paper, a paintbrush and a jar of honey, just laugh. (Unless it’s on your carpet, in which case I’d be more understanding if you didn’t crack a smile.) And sticking panty liners all over the window is pretty minor. Now if he were trying to JUMP out the window, we’d be worried. 

Be certain it's not already solved.

Just because it was a problem doesn’t mean it’s still a problem. It’s annoying when a kid paints glitter glue on your walls and furniture but it’s not a huge deal. It comes off with nail polish remover.

And Finally…


How to tell if someone doesn’t want your advice and they’re just being polite because you started talking and they don’t want to be the one to tell you to shut your pie hole already and thereby create an awkward silence

If they
Squirm and change the subject
Listen with patience instead of interest
Fold arms across chest
Get comfortable
Appear to be amused by you
Respond with, “Uh-huh”
Argue
Say “I already…”
Don’t ask clarifying questions like “And how did you…?”
Say, “Please stop talking.”
Start writing their Last Will and Testament
Sigh
Look really bored
Start playing on their phone
Leave the room
Fall asleep
Say, “Oh, look at the time!”
Suddenly start dancing
Break out in song
Throw up
Hide in the bathroom
Repeatedly say, “You’re so right.”


Now you know. All this time, I have been secretly making your sentences more grammatical instead of internalizing your gems of wisdom. And you’ve been doing the same for me. Cheers.





No comments:

Post a Comment